Nourishing Honey & Aloe Hair Mask
This post may contain affiliate links, which means we earn a small commission if you make a purchase. As an Amazon Affiliate, we earn from qualifying purchases. .
Did you know that honey can be used in your hair? That’s right – honey offers numerous benefits for the health of your hair and scalp. This simple make-at-home hair mask will nourish your scalp and add moisture and shine to your hair; it might even promote new hair growth!
Our homemade hair mask contains honey, aloe, and coconut oil; we share below the benefits of each of these ingredients. It is easy to apply and leaves your hair feeling shiny and smooth. It can be used up to once a week for ongoing hair care, and will not harm your hair or your scalp (unless you have an allergy to one of these ingredients – we recommend testing a small portion first to be sure).
Benefits of Honey for your Hair
Honey has long been used as a treatment for many of life’s ailments, and is especially great for your skin because of its antioxidant and healing properties.
When it comes to your hair, honey helps to moisturize, add shine, and prevent breakage. Honey also keeps the skin of your scalp healthy and may help to promote hair growth or prevent hair loss. For more information on these benefits, check out this article on 10 Science-Backed Benefits of Honey for your Hair.
Note that honey can also slightly lighten your hair if left in for long periods of time because it contains enzymes that break down into hydrogen peroxide. Used in small amounts you won’t see a huge difference, but this is something to keep in mind.
Benefits of Aloe Vera Gel for your Hair
Aloe vera is a plant that grows in tropical or sub-tropical conditions, and can be grown in a sunny windwo in your home. Aloe vera gel is sourced from inside the aloe plant. The gel contains a number of valuable vitamins, minerals, and essential acids that offer numerous health benefits.
When it comes to your hair, aloe vera gel has been shown to promote hair growth while also offering soothing benefits for your scalp (the same way it helps with sunburn or dry skin). It can help to reduce itchiness in your scalp and add moisture to your hair. It is likely these benefits for your scalp that indirectly lead to healthier hair growth. You can read more about these benefits in this article from Medical News Today.
Aloe vera gel can be sourced right from the plant or purchased from a local health foods or nutrition store. Make sure you use a high quality product that doesn’t have any other added ingredients.
Benefits of Coconut Oil for your Hair
Coconut oil is the third ingredient in our hair mask for two reasons. First, it provides a carrier oil that helps to blend and liquify the mask. Second, coconut oil also offers numerous benefits for your hair.
Coconut oil will absorb readily into the strands of your hair, helping to infuse moisture into each strand while the mask is applied. Like honey and aloe, it has been shown to help nourish and add shine to hair. It contains vitamins and fatty acids that help your scalp as well. It can be used in a variety of ways as a hair treatment.
Coconut oil comes as a thick solid but can be warmed up into a liquid form to be used in this mask recipe. Buy a high quality brand that is organic and safe for topical use. You can also buy coconut oil without a coconut scent if you prefer. We recommend Nutiva Organic Unrefined Virgin Coconut Oil in most of our skin care recipes.
Honey, Aloe, & Coconut Oil Hair Mask
- double boiler, or glass/ceramic bowl on top of a pot
- warm towel (you can warm for 10 minutes in the dryer while you make your mask)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil organic
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp aloe vera gel
- Place the honey and coconut oil in the top of a double boiler, or use a glass bowl over a pot. Add 1-2 inches of water to the lower pot and bring to a boil. Melt the coconut oil and honey, stirring with a whisk to combine. Remove from heat.
- Add the aloe vera gel into the mixture and whisk until it blends in, being careful to break down any chunks of gel.
- Allow the mixture to cool slightly until it is warm to the touch.
- Using a spoon or your fingers, apply the hair mask to your hair, starting at the roots and working your way down to the tips of your hair. Gently massage into your scalp and rub into the strands of your hair.
- Wrap your hair in the warm towel and allow the mask to stay on your hair for 30 minutes.
- Remove the towel and shampoo/condition your hair as normal (shampoo twice if needed to be sure all of the mask has been removed).
- Style as usual, and repeat on a weekly basis to maintain effects.