Honey Mojitos Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links, which means we earn a small commission if you make a purchase. As an Amazon Affiliate, we earn from qualifying purchases. .
Mojitos are the quintessential summer drink. When the fresh mint comes in strong there is nothing like a refreshing mojito at the end of a long day of gardening. We love a traditional mojito made with sugar or simple syrup, but we wondered – could we make honey mojitos that would be just as good?
The answer was a resounding yes!
Honey Mojitos are just as refreshing, delicious, and quintessentially summer as the traditional mojito recipe. The cocktail is just more special when it is made with your own raw wildflower honey. We also like to think it is just a tad healthier as you also reap the benefits of raw wildflower honey instead of white sugar.
Honey Mojitos can be made with a honey simple syrup, but we found it even easier to simply combine the honey with the rum before mixing the drink. As long as your honey is still in liquid form, this works perfectly well.
If your raw honey has become crystallized (which is completely normal as we explain in our article on why raw honey crystallizes) you may want to make a simply syrup first or gently melt your honey by placing the jar in a hot water bath. Never microwave your honey, as this can lead to a reduction in flavor and health benefits.
Making a honey mojito is easy – simply muddle your mint; mix your honey and rum; mix the honey, rum, and lime juice with your mint in a cocktail shaker with ice; then pour into a glass and add a splash of seltzer and a mint leaf for garnish. Voila.
While the recipe below calls for 2oz of rum (or 2 shots), I am not a big drinker and found that 1oz was also perfectly satisfying. You can also add more or less seltzer depending on your taste.
- cocktail shaker
- muddler (or wooden spoon)
- highball glass (or any glass of your choosing)
- measuring cup or shot glass
- citrus juicer
- 5-7 leaves Fresh Mint (plus extra for garnish)
- 2 oz White Rum
- 1 tbsp Raw Honey
- 1 small fresh lime
- 1/2 cup Seltzer (to taste)
- Place 5-6 mint leaves in the bottom of your cocktail shaker and muddle with a muddler or the handle end of a wooden spoon (no need to crush them too much; your goal is just to bruise them enough that they start to give off their delicious flavor)
- In a separate small bowl combine raw honey with rum until well blended. Pour this mixture into your cocktail shaker on top of the mint leaves.
- Squeeze the fresh lime juice into the shaker.
- Add 5-6 ice cubes to your cocktail shaker, place the cover on, and shake until blended.
- Pour contents of shaker (including mint and ice) into a highball glass or any glass of your choosing. Then top with seltzer to taste and add a mint leaf for garnish.